Have you ever heard a whistling sound coming from your chest every time you exhale? This condition is known as wheezing. The problem usually arises when your respiratory passages narrow down, generating a high-pitched sound that annoys you to the core.
Wheezing seems like a problem that can be ignored, but it is not. The airway obstruction can sometimes even give you a tough time in breathing. There is also a possibility that you might feel tightness in the chest.
Before getting to the section on how to treat wheezing, it is important for you to know more about this condition.
Remember that wheezing itself is not a health problem. It is actually a manifestation that your body is suffering from an underlying disease and needs your attention. Different diseases can be associated with wheezing like asthma, bronchitis, pulmonary edema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or even a dysfunction of the vocal cards.
Wheezing can make you feel giddy and low on energy because it decreases the oxygen provided to your body.
Suffering from wheezing for a long duration and not doing anything about is only going to harm you. It will deteriorate the quality of your life by making you feel tired, sleepless and irritated all the time. Hence, it is important to treat it.
Don’t worry, you do not need to make appointments with doctors or treat your body with harsh medicines. Following are some simple remedies that you can try at home to alleviate it.
Stick To Apple Cider Vinegar
You might have heard of the popularity of apple cider vinegar for it treats almost every problem that your body faces. So, why not use it now?
Apple cider vinegar can balance the pH levels of your body and excrete out all the toxins from it. Moreover, it has some important constituents in its composition that might aid in the better functioning of the respiratory system.
You can adopt the following steps to use apple cider vinegar in an effective way
- Take a cup of hot water and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a raw form.
- Add a few drops of honey to make the taste more pleasant.
- Use this drink twice every day to observe effects
No remedy is better and faster acting in the treatment of wheezing than taking steam. It is excellent because it can decrease the obstruction caused in the airways.
Steam gets rid of excess mucus and phlegm and clears the path for easy breathing.
For additional benefits, you can always blend in some drops of an essential oil to make things work out better.
- Get a large bowl and fill it with boiling hot water.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil in it.
- Lean over and cover your head with a towel.
- Try to inhale as much steam as you can through your nostrils and mouth.
- Continue doing so for at least 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process as and when required.
Drink Warm Beverages
This remedy has an additional benefit apart from providing relief from wheezing- it can maintain the hydration level in your body.
Drink as many warm beverages as you can to calm down those stressed airways and normalize your breathing pattern.
You will lose the sticky mucus due to these drinks soon enough.
So, what beverages can you use?
Drink a glass of hot water with a bit of lemon juice, or make yourself some herbal tea using ginger, licorice or chamomile. If you are a fan of soups, they can equally help in treating this cause.
You can simply consume coffee 2 to 3 times to get better.
Take A Hot Shower
If you are not comfortable with draping a towel over your head and inhaling steam, hot shower will do the trick for you.
The magic of this remedy lies in the steam that the hot shower will produce. This steam will thin down the mucus blocking the airways and stop the wheezing at once.
The instructions are simple. You just have to take a regular hot shower, but make sure that the bathroom door is closed. This will create your very own sauna right in your bathroom.
Don’t forget to stay in for at least 10 minutes.
For quicker results, repeat it twice or thrice every day.
A warm compress will also work just fine to keep your nasal passages patent, avoiding any kind of obstruction.
Get Some Ginger
Ginger is unquestionably a good option for treating wheezing. It possesses certain properties to get rid of inflammation present in the airways. Additionally, ginger reduces the tension produced in the respiratory muscles and ease the tightness felt in the chest.
You can use ginger in two ways:
- Use ginger to make a tasty herbal tea. Take a cup of water and heat it until it boils. Add approximately one tablespoon of sliced ginger in the water. Let the solution boil for 15 minutes. Allow it to cool and strain it. You can drink this tea twice of thrice every day to soothe your airways.
- You can also make a mixture using honey, ginger juice and the juice of pomegranate. Mix them in equal amounts. Use tone tablespoon of it up to 4 times every day.
Garlic All The Way
People often use garlic to treat certain respiratory conditions like coughing and asthma. Why not use it for getting rid of wheezing?
Garlic is made up of certain compounds having antioxidant properties. It can cause neutralization of the free radicals present in your body to relax the airways and let you breathe.
Garlic also lowers down the levels of histamine in the body which can help in case you are having an asthma attack as well.
- Get yourself some cloves of garlic and crush them.
- Add the crushed cloves in a cup of milk or water and boil the solution.
- Let the solution cool down. Use it 3 times a day to get benefits.
You can otherwise use a garlic clove directly along with a teaspoon of honey twice every day.
If you are really sick and desperate to get rid of wheezing, consult your doctor about using garlic supplements.